Share/Bookmark

Chiles in Nogada

No comment yet
I have been craving these for almost two years, so decided to make them. Contrary to popular belief, Chiles en Nogada are pretty easy to make. The issue is getting all the ingredients prepped to cook. The Puebla nuns that invented the recipe had too much time on their hands!

If you have the added complexity of being in New York City where you can't get peeled unripe walnuts (unripe walnuts are only available two months of the  year - and peeling them is a major task,) or clean poblano peppers (you can buy roasted and deveined poblano peppers at Costco in Mexico) by the time you are peeling the pomegranate your fingers hurt :(

Cooking is easy. Make a picadillo filling (pork, apples, peach, plantain, pears, almonds, acitron "good luck finding this.") Fill the poblano peppers with the picadillo. Make a sauce (walnuts, Sherry, cream, sugar-if needed). Put the nogada sauce on the peppers, top with pomegranate seeds (they add sweetness so don't assume they are for decoration.) Decorate with parsley.

I modified my friend's grandmother's recipe. I will publish when I get the ok to do so.

Post a Comment

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 Cooking for me, and maybe... I'll share. | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER